Here at HealthyWomen, we are passionate about prioritizing women's health and empowering women with accurate information—all year round.
This week especially we get to celebrate these important initiatives because it's National Women's Health Week.
Beginning on May 8, Mother's Day, and ending on May 14, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office on Women's Health will lead this week-long celebration with the goal of "empower[ing] women to make their health a priority."
So how can you get healthier?
The HHS Office on Women's Health has provided five simple, tangible steps, listed below, for women to follow for better physical and mental health. We've included links to HealthyWomen resources that will further inform you on how to become a healthier you.
No matter what stage of life you are in, make it a point to take positive steps forward in your journey of wellness.
If you're ready to take the pledge to live a healthier lifestyle, be sure to spread the love and encourage a girlfriend or family member to do the same.
5 Steps to a Healthier You:
Step 1: Visit your health care provider to receive regular checkups and preventive screenings.
- Complete Guide/Timeline to All the Routine Preventive Health Screenings for Women
- Health in Your 20s
- Health in Your 30s
- Health in Your 40s
- Health in Your 50s
- Health in Your 60s
- Health in Your 70s
Step 2: Get active.
- HW's Healthy Living Fitness Section
- 2-Minute Workouts: Exercises You Can Find Time For
- Top 10 Ways to Burn 200 Calories in Under an Hour
- 5 Best Yoga Poses for Pregnant Women
- 10 Quick Exercises for Busy Moms
- 3 Easy Strength-Training Exercises
- Learning a Sport at Midlife or Beyond
Step 3: Eat healthy.
- Healthy Recipes
- The Key to Healthy Eating for You and Your Family
- How to Kick Your Sugar Habit Once and For All
- 10 Foods That Promote Weight Loss
- 5 Worst Foods to Eat
- Eating for Two: Recipes for a Healthy Pregnancy
Step 4: Pay attention to mental health, including getting enough sleep and managing stress.
- HW's Mental Health Resources
- HW's Healthy Living Managing Stress Section
- Stress Less in 7 Steps
- 6 Tips to Manage Stress
- Natural Approaches for Easing Anxiety
- Meditation's Health Benefits
- Sleep Better Starting Tonight
- Why Women's Sleep Matters
Step 5: Avoid unhealthy behaviors, such as smoking, texting while driving and not wearing a seatbelt or bicycle helmet.