Prep Time: 5 Min
Cook Time: 10
Ready In: 30 Min
These sweet peppers are quick and easy to make and packed with vitamins, especially vitamins A, C and B6.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium green bell peppers, cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil or oregano
- 2 cups precooked brown rice, hot
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the peppers, and sauté for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the water, salt and pepper; continue sautéing for 4-5 minutes or until the peppers are just tender. Stir in the basil and remove from the heat.
- Spread the rice over a serving platter, spoon the peppers and liquid on top, and serve.
- Note: Vary this dish by using any combination of zucchini, yellow squash and mushrooms with the peppers or in place of them.
Per serving (1/2 cup vegetables and 1/3 cup rice): Choices/exchanges 1 starch; 1 nonstarchy vegetable; 1/2 fat; calories 130 (from fat 25); fat 3 g (saturated 0.5 g, trans 0.0 g); cholesterol 0 mg; sodium 105 mg; potassium 250 mg; total carbohydrate 22 g (dietary fiber 3 g; sugars 3 g); protein 3 g; phosphorus 90 mg.