Bruschetta is not just an appetizer anymore! This version is perfect for breakfast, providing a good mix of nutrients to start your day.
Prep Time: 20 Min
Cook Time: 5 Min
Ready In: 20 Min
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 green onion
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (divided)
- 12 slices whole-wheat baguette bread
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- Dice avocado, tomatoes and green onions.
- Peel and chop hard-boiled eggs.
- Reserving 2 tablespoons of basil for garnish, gently toss first five ingredients in a small bowl. Add pepper to taste.
- Toast baguette slices and smear with ricotta cheese.
- Top bread with avocado mix and garnish with chopped basil.
Serving suggestion: Serve with an 8-ounce glass of fat-free milk.
Amount per serving: Calories: 340; Total Fat: 17 g; Saturated Fat: 3.5 g; Cholesterol: 190 mg; Sodium: 310 mg; Carbohydrate: 32 g; Fiber: 9 g; Protein, 17 g.
Recipe courtesy of "What's Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl" and the Produce for Better Health Foundation.