This unexpected combination dances on the palate thanks to the sweetness of watermelon, tartness of lime, saltiness of the feta and olives, and semi-spicy herbaceous character of the arugula. Thanks to tummy-soothing watermelon, it also can be a godsend to the queasy mom.
Note: If possible, drain the watermelon cubes by placing them in a colander over a bowl in the refrigerator overnight beforehand.
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thinly and halved (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 11/2 cups ripe seedless watermelon, cut into thin triangles
- 11/2 cups loosely packed arugula
- 1/4 cup loosely packed chopped fresh mint
- 1/3 cup crumbled pasteurized feta cheese
In a serving bowl combine the onion, lime juice, olive oil, and olives and mix until combined and the onions are coated. Let stand for 15 minutes.
Add the watermelon, arugula, mint, and feta. Toss so the dressing coats the lettuce, and serve.
Per serving: 104 Calories, 6.53g Fat, 9.48g Carbs, 2.91g Protein, 1.27g Fiber, 99mg Calcium, 1.16mg Iron, 209mg Sodium, 28μg Folate
The above recipe is taken from Healthy Eating During Pregnancy: 100 Recipes for a Nutritious, Delicious Nine Months by Erika Lenkert with Brooke Alpert. Click here for more.