Break away from boring French fries with these mixed vegetable fries. They're perfect for a fall party.
Prep Time: 30 Min
Cook Time: 20 Min
Ready In: 50 Min
- 1 large baking potato
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 parsnips
- 2 carrots
- 8 ounces celeriac
- 1 large uncooked beet
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces pumpkin seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3-5 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 large tomatoes, skinned, seeded and diced
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
For the Fries
- Peel the potatoes, parsnips, carrots, celeriac and beet and cut into julienne strips using a sharp knife or mandolin.
- Pour oil onto a large baking tray and heat at 400°F until hot. Scatter the veggies over the tray and stir to cover them in oil. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and soft on the inside, checking regularly and shaking the tray while they cook.
For the Dip
- Fry the pumpkin seeds in dry frying pan (no oil) over moderate heat for 5 to 10 minutes. Shake the pan and turn the seeds as they pop, until seeds are golden brown. Remove from heat and cool. Grind the seeds coarsely in a food processor.
- Add the garlic, scallions, cumin, tomatoes, lime juice and tomato paste. Blend until smooth.
- Serve hot fries with the dip.