These healthy pancakes feature the delicious goodness of mashed sweet potatoes and whole grains, balanced with savory sautéed mushrooms infused with maple syrup and balsamic vinegar. This dish is perfect for dinner or brunch.
Prep Time: 20 Min
Cook Time: 25 Min
Ready In: 45 Min
For Sweet Potato Pancakes
- 3 medium sweet potatoes or yams (orange flesh)
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray, as needed
For Balsamic Maple Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound cremini and/or white button mushrooms, quartered
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Microwave sweet potatoes until soft; let cool. Peel and mash potatoes, using an electric mixer.
- Add milk, egg and vegetable oil to potatoes; mix. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt and add to potato mixture. Mix on low until just blended.
- Heat nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat; coat skillet with cooking spray.
- Use 1/4 cup of batter per pancake, ladling into hot skillet. Wait until pancake bubbles and looks slightly dry on top before flipping over.
- While pancakes are cooking, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in another skillet (do not use nonstick) over medium flame.
- Add quartered mushrooms and toss to coat with oil. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until juices run.
- Add maple syrup and balsamic vinegar to pan. Let simmer until sauce reduces and thickens.
- To serve, stack 2 to 3 pancakes, alternating with balsamic maple mushrooms.
Amount per serving (one-quarter of recipe): Calories: 420; Total Fat: 12 g; Saturated Fat: 1.5 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 50 mg; Sodium: 480 mg; Carbohydrate: 70 g; Fiber: 7 g; Protein, 12 g.