This tuna and lentil salad is a great do-ahead meal that provides plenty of protein, fiber and iron, plus healthy omega-3s—not to mention, a variety of tasty spices!
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils
- 1 (5-ounce) can of tuna, packed in water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar (also known as Xeres vinegar)
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder (adjust according to taste)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Cook the lentils in boiling water for 20 minutes (or according to instructions on the package). When cooked, strain and let cool.
- Drain the tuna and flake it with a fork into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, prepare the salad dressing by whisking together the oil, vinegar, chili powder, paprika, curry, cumin, salt and pepper, adjusting flavors to taste.
- Add the lentils to the bowl. Add the onion and parsley and mix well.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours before serving.
You might be interested in