Yields: 8 appetizer sandwiches
• 1/4 cup honey Dijon mustard
• 8 small Hawaiian or soft pumpernickel rolls, split
• 8 (1/4-inch thick) slices smoked mozzarella cheese*
• 8 slices seedless watermelon the same size as the cheese slices, drained to remove excess moisture
• 1 cup fresh alfalfa sprouts
Spread the mustard on each of the cut sizes of the rolls. Place a slice of cheese and watermelon on top of each roll bottom and divide the sprouts over the watermelon slices. Place the top of the roll over the sprouts.
* Smoked fresh mozzarella cheese can be found with specialty or gourmet cheeses at most supermarkets. It comes in ovals about three inches in diameter, which is the perfect size for this recipe. If the smoked mozzarella available in your market is larger, cut in half and use half-moon shapes. Plain fresh mozzarella can be substituted but the smoky flavor is terrific in the recipe. If you use plain fresh mozzarella cheese, add a drop or two of liquid smoke to the honey Dijon.