Serve this seared tofu with a simple cucumber salad for a light but filling lunch. For a vegetarian dish, omit the bonita flakes.
- 1 cup rice
- 1 (12-14) ounce package extra-firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon Asian-style sesame oil (or canola oil with a dash of hot sesame oil)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Fresh minced ginger
- Grated carrots
- Green onions, finely sliced
- Bonita flakes
- Soy sauce
- Korean chili paste
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Cut tofu into 4 portions. Remove excess water by pressing tofu "steaks" between a couple of paper towels.
- Put sesame seeds on a plate and coat both sides of tofu with sesame seeds.
- Heat sesame oil in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Sear tofu briefly in hot pan, turning after a couple of minutes. (Add more oil to pan before turning, if needed.)
- Place tofu over rice and top with desired toppings.
You might be interested in