Prep Time: 30 Min
Cook Time: 1 Hr 15 Min
Ready In: 1 Hr 45 Min
Kale and butternut squash up the nutrients and flavor of this bread pudding.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion (peeled and chopped)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup shredded low-sodium mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- 4 cups bread (stale or dried)
- 3 cups chopped raw kale
- 2 cups frozen butternut squash
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease the baking pan.
- Put a skillet over medium heat and, when it is hot, add the oil. Add the onion and cook about 10 minutes, until tender.
- While the onion is cooking, put eggs and milk in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Add the cheese, bread, kale, squash and salt and mix well. Let the mixture stand at least 15 minutes until the bread absorbs most of the milk.
- When the onion has finished cooking, add it to the bread mixture and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and transfer to the oven.
- Bake until lightly browned and set, 50-60 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- Note: It is important to use stale bread that has dried out. If you don't have stale bread, put fresh bread in a preheated 250°F oven and bake until dried, usually about 15 minutes.
Amount per serving: Calories: 372; Total Fat: 12 g; Saturated Fat: 4 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 227 mg; Sodium: 618 mg; Carbohydrate: 46 g; Fiber: 5 g; Protein, 24 g.
Recipe courtesy of the USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion.