This chilled tomato and bread soup originated in Andalusia, in south Spain. It's a great way to use excess tomatoes or day-old bread to create a healthy, refreshing summer meal.
- 2 pounds of tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- 5 tablespoons sherry vinegar (more or less, to taste)
- 1/8 cup of serrano ham, chopped
- 1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
- Wash the tomatoes and mash them in a large bowl with garlic until there are no chunks or large pieces of tomato skin. Pour the mixture into a strainer to drain excess liquid.
- Put tomatoes back in the bowl and add bread crumbs, oil and salt and vinegar to taste. Marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Pour the mixture into a food processor or blender and process on low until smooth. Chill in the refrigerator and serve cold, topped with the ham and egg.