This vivid red soup makes a lovely lunch or soup course for an elegant dinner.
- 5 stalks of rhubarb
- A few verbena leaves
- 3 tablespoons sugar, plus more to taste
- 3 1/2 cups strawberries
- Cut the ends off the rhubarb and peel the stalks. Slice the rhubarb diagonally into thick, 3-inch pieces.
- Place the rhubarb in a bowl, sprinkle generously with salt and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Then drain the water that accumulated in the bowl and rinse the rhubarb.
- Add 1 cup water to a hot pan. Add 3 tablespoons of sugar and the verbena leaves. Add the rhubarb and sprinkle with a little more sugar. Let cook until the rhubarb is soft.
- Wash the strawberries and cut in half. Add to the rhubarb and turn off the heat. Stir once and let the mixture poach in the warm pan for 5 minutes, with the heat off.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve warm. If you prefer a smoother soup, use a hand blender or food processor to get the desired consistency.
You might be interested in