Red, orange and yellow bell peppers stuffed with garbanzo beans, kale, walnuts and brown rice make a delicious Mediterranean-influenced vegetarian dish, chock-full of iron.
Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 45 Min
Ready In: 55 Min
- 2 cups instant brown rice (cooked)
- 4 medium bell peppers (red, yellow and orange)
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, unsalted
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook rice according to package directions, approximately 10 minutes.
- Slice bell peppers in half vertically and remove seeds.
- Rinse and drain garbanzo beans. Reserve about half of garbanzo beans; mash remaining portion with a fork.
- Mix rice with kale, garbanzo beans (mashed and whole), nuts, salt and pepper.
- Fill peppers with mix. Place in a baking dish and cover.
- Bake about 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake 5 more minutes.
Amount per serving: Calories: 330; Total Fat: 11 g; Saturated Fat: 1 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 170 mg; Carbohydrate: 48 g; Fiber: 9 g; Protein, 11 g.
Recipe courtesy of "What's Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl" and the Produce for Better Health Foundation.