Prep Time: 20 Min
Cook Time: 25 Min
Ready In: 45 Min
This pilaf pairs avocados and bell peppers with red quinoa and grilled chicken for a satisfying, colorful meal.
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons fresh or bottled lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (divided)
- 2 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (divided)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups water
- 3 teaspoons sodium-free chicken bouillon
- 1 1/2 cups red quinoa (uncooked/dry)
- Heat grill.
- Peel and cut avocado into chunks; place in a medium bowl.
- Mix lemon juice, basil and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Drizzle over avocado chunks, toss, and set aside.
- Cut chicken breasts in half crosswise.
- Mix 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, salt and remaining black pepper. Brush mixture on chicken and red bell pepper.
- Grill chicken and pepper until done. Set chicken breasts aside. Cut pepper into thin strips.
- While chicken and peppers are grilling, heat remaining olive oil in a large pan, add onion and garlic and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add water, bouillon and quinoa to pan. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is cooked (about 15-20 minutes).
- Place quinoa pilaf in a large bowl and add chicken, red peppers and avocado. Toss gently.
Serving suggestion: Garnish with orange or lime slices.
Amount per serving: Calories: 450; Total Fat: 16 g; Saturated Fat: 2 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol, 45 mg; Sodium: 240 mg; Carbohydrate: 54 g; Fiber: 7 g; Protein, 28 g.