A velouté is a velvety soup traditionally made with chicken, veal or fish stock, thickened with cream and butter. This vegetarian version gets plenty of texture and flavor from fennel, potatoes and cream.
Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 40 Min
Ready In: 50 Min
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- 2 potatoes
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 ounces heavy cream
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to serve
- Chop the onion. Put it in a hot soup pot with the butter and salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until the onion is transparent.
- In the meantime, peel and cut the potatoes and fennel into small pieces. Add them to the onions. Add the stock cube, add enough water to cover and cook on low heat for about 30 minutes.
- When cooked, mix everything in a blender or using a hand mixer. Add the cream and mix again. Check the seasoning, and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve in a large soup bowl with a drizzle of olive oil.