This Cuban-influenced dish takes oatmeal to the dinner table with delicious savory flavors.
- 1 cup Quaker Steel Cut Oats
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 pieces firm, ripe plantain, peeled and sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chicken broth/stock
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Fresh avocado slices
- Cotija or queso fresco cheese
- Prepare oats according to package directions and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook plantains for 4-5 minutes until golden and slightly browned, turning once after 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onion and green pepper 5-7 minutes until onion is translucent and beginning to brown.
- Add the beans, chicken stock, cumin, salt and pepper, and cook for 5-8 minutes more, until beans are heated.
- Top oatmeal with black beans and plantains. If desired, garnish with cilantro, avocado and cheese.
This recipe is courtesy of Quaker Oats.
You might be interested in