This stuffing recipe is perfect for everyone, including people with sensitive bladders.
Prep Time: 20 Min
Cook Time: 1 Hr
Ready In: 1 Hr 20 Min
Servings: Makes about 4 cups of stuffing
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2 percent milk
- 3 drops vinegar (the baking soda will neutralize it, but meanwhile it will help the bread rise)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 slices white bread (preservative free) crust removed, torn in pieces
- 3/4 cup frozen broccoli (partially thaw and chop in 1/2" pieces)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1-2/3 cups chicken broth (such as Campbell's Healthy Request)
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
To make the cornbread:
1. Thoroughly combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
2. Make a well in the center.
3. In a large measuring cup, whisk together the milk, vinegar, egg and oil.
4. Pour the liquid ingredients into the well and gently stir until all is moistened.
5. Spray a 7-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
6. Pour in the cornmeal batter and spread evenly.
7. Bake at 425°F for 20 minutes or just until golden and center springs back when touched.
To make the stuffing:
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornbread (crumbled) and white bread pieces.
2. In a saucepan, over medium heat, sauté the broccoli and butter until tender. Do not brown.
3. Combine the sautéed broccoli with the bread mixture. Stir in chicken broth, using enough to moisten. Stir in the poultry seasoning, sage, onion salt and white pepper and blend well.
4. Spray a large shallow baking dish measuring about 10" x 15" with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the mixture in the dish.
5. Bake for 20-30 minutes.
Calories: 266 per cup.
Recipe courtesy of the Urology Care Foundation