Buckwheat flour infuses these hearty pancakes with extra protein, fiber and nutrients. If you find buckwheat's earthy flavor too strong on its own, replace half of it with another gluten-free flour, such as brown rice or quinoa. This recipe can be also be made egg-free.
Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 10 Min
Ready In: 20 Min
Servings: 2 to 3
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup dark maple syrup or agave syrup
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg (see Note)
- 2/3 cup + 1 tablespoon unflavored hemp milk or milk of choice
For the Blueberry Sauce
To make blueberry sauce, whirl blueberries and maple syrup together in a blender until combined but still slightly chunky.
For the Pancakes
- In a large bowl, combine flour, banana, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and egg. Stir in milk. Add more milk if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Lighty grease a nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat. Drop batter, 1⁄3 cup at a time, onto the skillet and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until nicely browned. Serve pancakes topped with blueberry sauce.
- Note: For egg-free pancakes, omit 1 egg. Combine 1 tablespoon flax meal with 3 tablespoons hot water. Let sit 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Then add to recipe in place of 1 egg.
Amount per serving (3 pancakes): Calories: 324; Total Fat: 4 g; Saturated Fat: 1 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 70 mg; Sodium: 562 mg; Carbohydrate: 70 g; Fiber: 7 g; Protein, 8 g.
Recipe courtesy of Gluten Free & More.