Not sure you like the texture of eggplant or uncertain how to prepare it? Try this healthy dip that's sure to be a hit.
- 2 medium eggplants (about 2 pounds or 900 grams)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) tahini (sesame paste)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) lemon juice
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, optional
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and turn broiler on (high heat). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place eggplants on the baking sheet and prick in several places using a fork. This helps steam escape while the eggplants roast.
- Broil eggplants 2 minutes on all sides. The skin will darken a little and begin to smell smoky, adding lots of flavor to the dip.
- Turn broiler off, but do not remove eggplants from the oven. Heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Roast eggplants 25 to 30 minutes, or until very soft. Cool 10 to 15 minutes until easily handled.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cumin and salt. Set aside so the flavors meld.
- Split the eggplants, drain excess liquid, scrape out the flesh and add to the tahini mixture. (Discard excess liquid and skins.)
- Mash eggplant into tahini mixture with a fork until somewhat smooth with some texture remaining. Cool to room temperature then stir in parsley and drizzle the top with olive oil.
You might be interested in