Prep Time: 20 Min
Cook Time: 10 Min
Ready In: 30 Min
This refreshing, crunchy, sweet-savory salad features a play of chopped apples, fennel and chicken breast blended with whole-wheat couscous and spinach, topped with lemon balsamic vinaigrette.
- 12 ounces boneless chicken breast (2-3 breasts)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 2 medium red apples
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lemon juice (divided)
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/8 cup walnuts (chopped; may use pecans or almonds)
- Slice chicken breasts crosswise into 1/2" strips.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken, cook 8-10 minutes until done, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- While chicken is sautéing, cook couscous according to package directions. Let cool.
- Core and chop apples and place in large bowl; toss with 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
- Chop fennel bulb (discarding stem and fronds) and add to bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk remaining oil and lemon juice with balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Add chicken, couscous, spinach, and nuts to bowl with apples and fennel.
- Drizzle with dressing, toss to coat, and serve.
- Can be made several hours ahead and refrigerated.
Chef's Note: To save time, you may use leftover chicken breast or store-bought rotisserie chicken breast.
Amount per serving: Calories: 440; Total Fat: 16 g; Saturated Fat: 2 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 45 mg; Sodium: 260 mg; Carbohydrate: 56 g; Fiber: 6 g; Protein, 25 g.