By Tracy Layden
Tired of the mall for your weekly catch-up sessions with Mom? Shake up your bonding routine—instead of window shopping, treat Mom to some mother-daughter workout time. It's a healthy alternative that will have you both looking fit and fabulous in no time.
Flow the Funk Out
- Hatha yoga. Move and breathe at a gentle pace. If you're new to yoga, this is the class for you. Focus on deep breaths, and enjoy the long relaxation at the end.
- Power yoga. Challenge your brain and body with a fast-paced yoga class designed to make you sweat. Treat Mom to a smoothie to replenish electrolytes and vitamins after your workout.
- Restorative yoga. Relax and melt stress away with this yoga style. Don't be surprised if you fall asleep from all the deep relaxation.
Dance Like No One's Watching
If Mom's always loved those old videos of Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly, take her out to dance—no tap shoes required.
- Social dancing. Take a beginner's ballroom class or sign up for square dancing at your community center. Grab a meal after class to discuss the steps you learned and the dance partners you met that day. Before you know it, you two will be the stars of the next dance party!
- Zumba. Dance your heart out in this high-energy class. Don't worry about getting the dance sequence right the first time—you and your mom will have a blast grooving to the up-tempo beats. The point is to have fun and exercise—it's OK if you feel silly at first.
- Belly dancing. Tap into your feminine sides and engage your mind and use muscles you never knew you had. You and Mom will be feeling empowered and beautiful by the time class is done.
Pull Your Punches
Is Mom always badgering you about walking alone? Learn the basics of self-defense in an adrenaline-boosting environment. Learning to defend yourself and getting stronger in the process is one of the best ways to feel confident in your body.
- Cardio kickboxing. Land kicks and punches while breaking a sweat. You'll get a great workout with Mom while working out any pent-up frustrations you may have had.
- Krav Maga. Take a stab at one of the more intense martial art forms in the world. Originally designed for the military and based on street fighting, it focuses on real-world situations. Partner with your mom to practice new moves together.
- Women's self-defense. Learn how to defend yourself with everyday items such as your purse or your keys. Tailored specifically for women, you and Mom will learn how to stay safe when out and about.
Learn more about other low-impact workouts that are actually fun.
New Meaning to Bonding Time
With these fun ways to stay fit and healthy, you'll soon be comparing progress instead of comparing prices at the mall. And, if you really want to go to the mall occasionally, try walking a few laps around the mall at a good pace before you begin shopping. You can create new memories and bonding moments with Mom—while getting fit together.
Tracy Layden is a certified aging in place specialist. Born and raised in Silicon Valley, Tracy leads the marketing efforts at Alert-1, a personal safety technology and consulting firm dedicated to helping seniors live safely and independently. Tracy holds a degree in mathematics from Scripps College and is an accomplished ballroom dancer and equestrian.