Loaded with vegetables, this delicious baked breakfast or brunch dish can be assembled ahead of time, leaving just the baking for the morning.
Prep Time: 15 Min
Cook Time: 45 Min
Ready In: 1 Hr
- 1 Vadalia onion, sliced vertically (divided)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced vertically
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced vertically
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup fat-free (skim) milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 4 slices whole-grain bread, dry or toasted, cubed
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Italian blend cheese
- 10 cherry tomatoes (or 2 tomatoes)
- 1 garlic clove
- Place rack in center of oven and heat oven to 350° F.
- Cut Vidalia onion into slices vertically, reserving about 1/4 of the onion. Slice bell peppers.
- Heat oil in a 10-inch non-stick skillet. Sauté onion and pepper for 5 to 8 minutes, until tender and just starting to brown. Remove from heat.
- Beat eggs, egg whites, milk and pepper in a large bowl and set aside.
- Spray an 8- or 9-inch baking pan (square or round) with cooking spray.
- Arrange bread cubes in bottom of pan. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Add sautéed vegetables and pour in egg mix.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, until set. Egg dishes should be cooked to 160° F.
- For Salsa: While strata is baking, dice and mix tomatoes, garlic and remaining onion. Serve salsa as topping for strata.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve with an 8-ounce glass of fat-free milk and 1/2 cup cantaloupe cubes.
Amount per serving: Calories: 240; Total Fat: 9 g; Saturated Fat: 2 g; Carbohydrate: 21 g; Fiber: 4 g; Protein: 19 g; Sodium: 371 mg.
Recipe courtesy of "What's Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl" and theProduce for Better Health Foundation.