This year, I've decided to do a spiritual holiday gift guide filled with presents that bring purpose and meaning. As I combed through my materials from the Summer 2019 NY NOW – Market for Home Lifestyle + Gifts, I noticed that many of the exhibitors I was drawn to have a spiritual or sustainable quality. This attraction is likely due to my own slowing down, self-care and mindfulness during the past few months.
A great place to find ideas for gift-giving
I enjoy walking the aisles of NY NOW at the Jacob Javits Convention Center in New York City each August. The show is targeted to retail buyers and features 2,300+ exhibitors presenting thousands of brands in the gift, home and lifestyle industry.
Media representatives go to the marketplace to find ideas for their holiday gift guides as well. It's one of the places where editors from The OPRAH Magazine find their list of "Oprah's Favorite Things." Sometimes I like to see if my favorites match hers.
I attended the Summer 2019 NY NOW Market to search for ideas for my holiday gift guide.
Curating my spiritual holiday gift guide
My spiritual holiday gift guide features jewelry, clothing and accessories, home goods and other gift-giving ideas.
Hope you find something you like for your family, friends or just for yourself. Remember, you are deserving of presents, too.
Wear your jewelry with purpose
- Pieces of Me is a meaningful jewelry brand that's rooted in the concept that everyone is unique. The line has over two dozen different personality trait icons that are visually represented in bracelets, earrings and necklaces. I took the quiz at NY NOW, and my personality traits were strong, compassionate, dreamer and creative. That's pretty on-target. The team gifted me with earrings that denote strength. You can take the quiz on your phone by texting the word 'quiz' to 21000 or on the brand's website.
Pieces of Me jewelry (image courtesy of Pieces of Me).
- Pyrrha symbolic talismans empower, celebrate and inspire those who wear them. Each necklace is handcrafted using reclaimed sterling silver, bronze and 14K gold. The designs feature authentic wax seals and imagery from the Victorian era with symbols denoting heraldry. For example, the "Unbreakable" talisman reads 'Flecti Non Frangi' in Latin, meaning 'To be Bent not Broken.' It refers to one who can endure hardship yet still remain true to herself. The raven signifies hope and is believed to have keen vision that pierces through all darkness.
- Tree trunk arts entrepreneur Collyn DeBano believes in the beauty of nature that is all around us. She has found a way to preserve this beauty forever and allow us to wear the moments of nature we love. For eight years, Collyn has been collecting and casting the seeds and twigs that catch her eye and turning them into jewelry. Her company is joining the Million Tree Challenge, through a partnership with One Tree Planted, as one of 500 awesome companies that will plant 2,000 trees in California, helping the state recover from the worst fire season in its history. With every e-newsletter signup and online product purchased, tree trunk arts will donate $1 to plant one tree.
Tree trunk arts earrings.
- Far Fetched markets and sells artisan-crafted jewelry made by generations of artisans in central Mexico. Its jewelry enhances the lives of all that touch it from the artisan supplier to the customer. The team is committed to following fair trade principles by providing a fair wage, transparency and safe working conditions. In addition to its roots in Mexico, the company has recently begun sourcing and selling artisan goods from Kenya, Haiti, Guatemala and Thailand.
Namaste earrings from Far Fetched.
Adorn yourself with comfortable clothing and accessories
- Artist Maria Kamara and her daughter, Mary Hagemeyer, combine their love of art and design while encouraging each other's creativity. They create Maria Kamara scarves, prints and jewelry using ethical practices that are the cornerstone of their work. Maria says, "Painting is a gift I give myself. My hope is that those who connect with my work, will experience the essence of its purpose which is to honor where one finds beauty, and the acceptance of self."
Maria Kamara scarves.
- When I saw liaMolly shawls I wanted to wrap myself up in one, relax by a fireplace and read a book or sit on a meditation cushion and practice mindfulness. The graphically attractive wraps are made of super soft Italian-spun 100 percent Egyptian cotton—a great wool alternative.
- Solmate socks are eco-friendly, American-made and a colorful way to keep your feet warm this winter. They say, "They're here to hug that most-neglected part of your body, reminding you to pay attention to the little details that so often matter most." Ooh, ooh, ooh, don't you love the different designs! I'm a big fan of fun socks! Plus, Solmate makes other accessories including hats and gloves.
- Heidi Hess Hoodie ponchos are 80 percent cotton and 20 percent linen, making them soft and cozy athleisure wear. This is the type of clothing I like to live in during my life after 50 (really now after 60). This is female designer Heidi Hess's second career. According to her bio, Heidi makes some of her own fabric and is a self-proclaimed fiberologist.
Be inspired with these home goods
- Cedar Mountain Studios artwork is "filled with passion and love" from its creators Don, Suzanne and Amy. The company's credo boasts beliefs such as, "We believe that wrinkles are a small price to pay for wisdom. We believe in beach days. We believe in being grateful." Its typewriter signs are my favorite with words and phrases themed around topics from travel to yoga to love and peace. They also make coasters, art blocks, magnets and more with inspirational quotes and images.
Cedar Mountain Studios make Typewriter signs with a yoga theme.
- Zpots are "cups of love and buckets of peace, and so much more, for humanity," says the Vermont design team of Eric Hendrick and Noelle VanHendrick. Joining them are artisans and dream weavers who help make it all happen. Their pottery features mugs, plates, bowls, vases and other artful pieces adorned with empowering and positive words and images that, according to Noelle, "gently remind us we belong and we are in this together. They hold the knowing that each and every one of us is here to love and change the world through that love."
Zpots gratitude bowl.
- Modern Sprouts allows you to bring a little bit of nature inside by offering thoughtfully crafted products to simplify plants and indoor gardening. There are mini indoor gardens, herb kits and other gifts and accessories for the apartment to help you become a better home plant person.
Modern Sprouts contemporary indoor herb plants.
- Henrietta Glass Wishing Balls are colorful globes for wishes, dreams, blessings and thank yous. You can write your wish on a piece of paper each week or month, then roll and slip it into the glass ball to be treasured forever, just like a birthday wish.
Henrietta Glass Wishing Balls.
Gifts to help you chill out or fire up
- Pinch Me Therapy Dough is formulated to help reduce stress with pliant texture, calming colors and soothing scents. A clinical hypnotherapist created this squishable compound as a "non-prescription, drug free, 'as-needed' relief supplement that stressed-out souls can use 'in a pinch.'"
Pinch Me therapy dough.
- Zen Art + Design Puzzles offer an opportunity to slow down in a fast-paced world to do something quiet and mindful. The tiny puzzles spark the mind with challenging pieces and charm from the beautiful imagery. Since slowing down, I've enjoyed doing 1,000 word puzzles. I find puzzles to be very relaxing and can get lost in my new hobby for hours at a time. If you only have a few minutes to practice mindfulness, these zen art wooden puzzles will help bring you into the present.
Zen Artisanal Wooden Puzzles.
- Muzen Button Bluetooth speakers and FM radios are the cutest tech toys for playing your meditation music. These miniature speakers have a nostalgic style and come in a variety of pastel colors.
Muzen Audio Bluetooth speaker and radio.
- Bala Wearable Weights are so attractive and colorful you won't even realize you are carrying extra weight to exercise your arms. Before chilling out, pop on a Bala bangle and bulk up!
Bala Bangles are weights that look like you are wearing a bracelet.
Happy holidays and happy shopping!
This post originally appeared on aboomerslifeafter50.com.