A tagine is basically a stew with warm Middle Eastern flavors. Vary the recipe by adding tomatoes, onions, chickpeas, carrots, squash, cilantro, prunes, dried apricots or other favorites.
Prep Time: 40 Min
Cook Time: 40 Min
Ready In: 1 Hr 20 Min
- 3 pounds stewing beef
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 bay leaves
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 cup raisins (or other dried fruit)
- 1 cup chopped apples
- 1 (14-ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (5.9-ounce) box precooked couscous
- Slice the beef into bite-size strips. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add the beef and sauté until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add the orange juice and lemon juice. Then add the honey, cinnamon, curry, bay leaves and salt. Add the raisins and heat until gently burbling, about 5 minutes.
- Add the apples and broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover the pan to simmer about 30 minutes. If the sauce seems too runny at the end of 30 minutes, remove the lid and simmer uncovered for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the couscous according to package directions.
- Serve the couscous with the beef sauce on top.