Prep Time: 30 Min
Cook Time: 10 Min
Ready In: 40 Min
- 1/2 cup prunes
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 6 pieces boneless chicken legs
- Oil, for brushing
- Kosher salt, for sprinkling
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons (approx) water
- Soak the prunes and dried apricots in a small bowl of hot water.
- Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Meanwhile, combine all of the ingredients for the spice mixture in a mixing bowl, adding a bit more water if it’s too thick; it should be easy to brush onto the chicken.
- Preheat the grill to high. Drain the dried fruit. Alternating fruit and chicken, thread onto skewers. Brush the kabobs lightly with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Grill the skewers for 4 minutes. Turn them over and brush with the spice glaze. Cook for about 5 minutes, brushing again a minute or two before they're done for an even stronger flavor. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink inside.
Notes: These gluten-free kabobs can be done on an outside grill or a grill pan, if you can't cook outside. They may be served over quinoa, couscous or rice.
This recipe is courtesy of Cooking Inspired: Bringing Creativity and Passion Back into the Kitchen, written by Estee Kafra and distributed by Feldheim Publishers; September 2013.