Consumers interested in learning more about the health care law can find a number of very effective resources on the Web. Here is a listing of the top resources and a brief description of them.
- www.healthcare.gov – Developed and managed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, this website provides up-to-date information on the new health care law, its provisions and any pending changes. It also will help you evaluate providers and insurance options.
- http://healthreform.kff.org/ – The Kaiser Family Foundation website provides fact sheets and analysis, as well as up-to-date news on the Affordable Care Act.
- www.aarp.org/health/health-care-reform – The AARP website has a health reform section that provides up-to-date information on the status of the new law and what it means to consumers, especially those over 50 years of age.
- www.commonwealthfund.org/Health-Reform.aspx – The Commonwealth Fund has an extensive and easy-to-navigate section on health reform and what it means to consumers. The Commonwealth Fund site focuses on systems and quality improvement.
- www.nachc.org – The website of the National Association of Community Health Centers provides information on health reform, especially timely news and updates on how community health centers will meet the needs of consumers.
- www.cdc.gov – The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has an extensive website with research-based health information and a section on how the Affordable Care Act affects consumers.
- www.naic.org/index_health_reform_section.htm – The National Association of Insurance Commissioners has a section on its website focused on responding to consumers' questions about health insurance.
- www.apha.org/advocacy/healthiestnation/legislation/ – The American Public Health Association has a section of its website devoted to health reform and its impact. Some material there is consumer-focused; other information is more policy focused and may not be as helpful to consumers.
To find out more, you may want to read:
Major Changes With Health Care Reform
More Options for Purchasing Insurance
Insurance Regulation Changes That May Affect You
A Perspective on Women and Health Care
Preventive Services Covered Under the Affordable Care Act
Timeline for Health Care Reform Changes
Ask the Expert: How does the new health care reform act affect older women?
Ask the Expert: How do the new health reform laws affect low-income women?