recent blog posts
- Addressing Mental Health Conditions Before Stage 4: Text, Talk, Act
- 5 Ways to Enjoy a Pain-Free Vacation
- Understanding the Signs and Symptoms of Preeclampsia
- How to Maintain Beautiful Hair as You Age (Courtesy of the Late, Great Whitney Houston)
- Tylenol or Advil? Not Created Equal for Pain Relief
- Celebrate Women's Health Month by Caring for Yourself
- Get Ready for Your Big, Bold, Passionate Summer
- Key Features of Possibly the Most Underserved and Underdiagnosed Disease: Do You Have It?
- The 10 Biggest Sunscreen Mistakes
- IRIS: A Delightful Documentary About Style Maven Iris Apfel
Friday, Aug 24th 2012
10 Healthy Snacks for Busy Kids and Adults, Plus Enter to Win Free Treats
Many of us don't think about planning snacks. Snacks just happen. And too often that means we find ourselves standing in front of the vending machine, pulling through the drive-through or staring at the chips and cookies in the pantry.
The Tufts Health & Nutrition Letter recently reported that snacks now account for a quarter of the average American's calorie intake. Essentially, snacks add up to a fourth meal, so it's important to make sure your snacks have nutritional value, not just empty calories.
Here are 10 healthy snacks to try—and be sure to pack a snack when you or your kids are on the go:
- Apple or pear wedges with peanut butter
- Low-fat mozzarella cheese stick (string cheese) with whole-wheat crackers (look for whole wheat as the first ingredient listed)
- Whole-wheat wrap spread with hummus and topped with turkey lunch meat (look for nitrate free brands), lettuce and sunflower seeds or pine nuts
- Nuts (about the amount that fits in the palm of your hand) and a piece of fresh fruit
- Dried fruit (look for brands without added sugar or preservatives)
- Plain or vanilla nonfat or low-fat yogurt with berries and nuts
- Butter-free popcorn, with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese
- Baby carrot sticks with low-fat dressing for dipping
- Turkey roll-ups made with turkey slices spread with pesto and sprinkled with sunflower seeds and chopped lettuce and cherry tomatoes
- Celery sticks spread with peanut butter and topped with nuts or raisins
How do you snack smart on the go? We want to know. Enter a tip and you could win a free sample pack of Fruit Bliss’ preservative-free dried fruit snacks!
Here's how it works: Share your favorite healthy snack on the HealthyWomen Facebook page (www.facebook.com/healthywomen). It's that simple!
Entries must be received by 12 a.m. EST, on Sunday, September 2, 2012. Three winners will be chosen to sample Fruit Bliss’ sampler pack of soft-dried fruit snacks. Winners will be notified via Facebook no later than September 5, 2012. Entries are subject to appear on HealthyWomen's Facebook and Twitter channels.