How can I prepare to talk with my health care provider about my heavy periods so I can make the most of my appointment?
Preparation is key to getting the most out of your appointment. There are several treatment options available for women with heavy periods, and it's important to think about which ones will be best for your health and lifestyle. Before you talk with your health care provider, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you want contraception as part of reducing your heavy flow?
- Are you comfortable with taking a pill every day throughout the month or do you prefer to take medication only during your period?
- Do you prefer a hormonal or non-hormonal treatment option?
- Does your health care professional recommend hormone therapy for you? Do you know why or why not?
- Do you want to preserve your fertility?
- Are you willing to consider a surgical procedure?
Lastly, before you visit your health care professional, check out our "Questions to Ask" and print a copy to discuss during your appointment.