If toning your calves is a priority, choose walking uphill or running instead of biking and swimming for your cardiovascular activity. For added strength, try these exercises:
Double Calf Raises
- Standing with your legs hip distance apart, lift your heels off the ground as high as possible, and then slowly lower your heels back to the ground.
- Take one count to lift the heels and then 3 slow counts to lower.
- Work up to 3 sets of 15 repetitions each.
Single Calf Raises
- For an extra challenge, do the above exercise one foot at a time while holding the other foot off the ground.
Calf Raises with Extra Weight
- For more challenge, do your calf raises while holding weights in your hands.
- Do not allow the spine to arch or the weights to swing during the exercise.
Photos by Jeffrey Mosier Photography