Health Center - Military Veterans' Health and Wellness

Women represent just over 14 percent of active-duty military, and unlike in the past, they may be involved in conflict operations. When in or near firefight, they are likely to experience a variety of traumatic stressors that can affect them after returning home. Find information below that can help you or a loved one cope.

Treating Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

woman with post traumatic stress disorderOnce diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), it's important to know that help is available.  With support, many women can draw on their own reserves of strength and resilience to cope with post-traumatic stress. The following describes some options that are available today.

Psychological Therapy

Your doctor may refer you to a mental health professional, such as a psychiatrist (a medical doctor with a specialty in psychiatry, who can prescribe medication), a psychologist (a licensed therapist with a background in psychology and either a doctorate or master's degree) or a counselor (a licensed or certified individual with supervised training in psychology).