recent blog posts
- It's Time to Be Kind to Family Caregivers
- The Truth About Your Postmenopausal Body
- Mammogram Guidelines Change—and Differ—Once Again
- Celebrating 60 in Italy
- My Foodie Retirement Project: "1,000 Foods to Eat Before You Die"
- 7 Ways To Fall Off the Exercise Wagon
- Do You Want To Be Happier in 2016? "Choices" Can Help!
- The Awesome Pregnancy Perk a Start-Up Company Offers
- 5 Ways to Beat the "I Don't Have Time" Trap
- Do You Have to Give Up Your High Heels?
Thursday, Feb 26th 2015
We've all heard that we should live each day to the fullest, because there's no guarantee how many days we'll have. Coming face to face with mortality reinforces that lesson. My sister is facing that reality after her recent diagnosis with ovarian cancer. And those of us who love her are facing it along with her.
We all know life is random. Bad things happen, even to good people.
Monday, Feb 23rd 2015
With the Oscar awards ceremony just concluded, I got to thinking: There are so many fabulously talented actors and actresses, directors and producers, animators and screenwriters out there. There are so many others behind the scenes who I don't even know about or will never quite understand what it is they do. They all work so hard. Their work consumes them. And they've likely been at it for a very, very long time, dedicating every waking moment to their craft.
Saturday, Feb 14th 2015
"Long-term relationships are strongest when romantic trips are part of their history, present, and future," says Pepper Schwartz, PhD, coauthor of Frommer's Places for Passion, and AARP sex and relationship expert. (Hear that, L? That's my boyfriend L I'm referring to. We need to plan more romantic vacations. When are you retiring?)
Wednesday, Feb 04th 2015
I used to say that I came from a family of vain women.
My dear and very attractive grandmother, born at the turn of the 20th century, valued her beauty so greatly that she'd go off on a "vacation" and emerge weeks later looking rather refreshed and rejuvenated. As I got older, I quickly caught on that "vacation" was merely her clever moniker for "face lift."