recent blog posts
- Living Well While Battling Breast Cancer
- Defining Moments: The Wake-up Call of Cancer
- 20 Baby Names Proved to Belong to Children on the “Naughty” List
- Are You in a Postmenopausal Desert?
- The Silent Killer: One Woman’s Story of High Blood Pressure
- The 5 Stages of Holiday Stress
- Are You an Elephant Mom or a Tiger Mom?
- Do You Like Surprise Gifts or Gifts From Your Wish List?
- HealthyWomen's Holiday Gift Guide—For You to Give or Get
- A Special Twist on a Favorite Hanukkah Dish: Moroccan Potato Latkes
Wednesday, Oct 15th 2014
Although bladder problems are more common than you'd suspect—more than 40 million American women experience sensitive bladders and bladder leaks—it's a somewhat taboo topic. Women are hesitant or embarrassed to discuss it, or, if they do, it's often in hush-hush tones.
So you think you can't understand your bladder?
Sunday, Oct 12th 2014
I had an opportunity to hear John Gray, PhD, author of Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus: The Classic Guide to Understanding the Opposite Sex, speak in Philadelphia last year. While the popular book about relationships was written 20 years ago, Dr. Gray gave an update on what's stayed the same and what's changed over time regarding the differences between men and women.
Here are some of Dr. Gray's insights:
Tuesday, Oct 07th 2014
"You have cancer."
Those three words hold so much power. They're life-altering in too many ways to measure. They're words that every women hopes they'll never have to hear.
And as a survivor who has heard those words, I'd like to be able to say that you'll never, ever have to hear them.
But there's no sure way to do that.
Saturday, Oct 04th 2014
As the autumn air grows colder and my body continues to age, I find myself drier and drier these days. The air conditioner is in the off position and the heater is turned on, but that's not the only reason my body is drying up from top to bottom.
Tuesday, Sep 30th 2014
Did you miss National Coffee Day, which was yesterday?
Bummer! I could have scored a free cup of coffee at Dunkin' Donuts, Krispy Kreme, McDonald's, Peet's and other places.
Friday, Sep 19th 2014
Last week, while fashionistas were viewing spring 2015 styles at New York Fashion Week, I was reading my September magazines (six pubs equaling 2,000-plus pages) to get a lowdown on what's on trend for fall 2014. It's time for my fabulous fall fashions roundup. I'm here to share the colors, fabrics, styles, accessories and shoes you will want to be wearing as the weather cools.