recent blog posts
- Help Prevent Osteoporosis: "Love Your Bones: Protect Your Future"
- How to Navigate a Complicated Health Care System as You Age
- What Comes After Breast Cancer?
- My Travels on "Rhineland Discovery": Welcome to Kinderdijk and Cologne
- How to Stay Heart-Healthy After Menopause
- My Travels On "Rhineland Discovery": A Lovely Last Day in Amsterdam
- 5 Steps to Take Charge of Your Liver Health
- Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day Is October 13
- Do You Use a Fitness or Activity Tracker?
- My Travels On "Rhineland Discovery": Adventures in Amsterdam
Friday, Oct 21st 2016
"Did you have your bone density scan?" asked Dr. S during my annual gynecological examination earlier this year.
"Yep, I had my last scan in February 2015, and it indicated that I had osteopenia, a lesser degree of bone loss, which may lead to osteoporosis."
"OK," said Dr. S. "No medication is indicated at this time." Dr. S recommended that I get a Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) scan every two years to check my bone health.
Monday, Oct 17th 2016
Life events can be a series of the simple and straightforward.
A situation happens; we deal with it. And then, we move on.
Except when they're not simple and straightforward.
Consider breast cancer. Those two words are often fraught with a much more complicated and oftentimes knotty web to navigate.
Friday, Oct 14th 2016
Friday, Oct 07th 2016
Tuesday, Oct 04th 2016
And, if so, how's it going for you?
I bought a Fitbit for my husband a few years ago, when they were new to the market. It was a birthday gift, and the purchase coincided with a long-awaited trip to Italy, where we were going to be doing a lot of walking.
Tuesday, Sep 27th 2016
Falls are serious. They're costly, too. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that, adjusted for inflation, the direct medical costs associated with injuries caused by falls tops $30 billion.
One thing that frightens me about getting older is losing my balance and falling.
Monday, Sep 26th 2016
Our first stop for our pre-trip on "Rhineland Discovery" (courtesy of Viking River Cruises) was the beautiful medieval city of Bruges, Belgium. My boyfriend L and I spent time exploring on our own and with a Viking guide.*