recent blog posts
- The Yogi's Way to a Good Night's Sleep
- 3 Things You May Not Know About Botox
- #TotalBodyThursday: Squat Jump
- Your Toddler Understands More Than You Think
- Does Your Health Insurer Know Best?
- Technology: Keeping Up Is Hard to Do
- Fabulous Fall Fashions Roundup
- #TotalBodyThursday: Dead Lift to Overhead Press
- Mom's Postpartum Advice: True or False?
- So You Think You Can't … Stay Up-to-Date on Breast Cancer?
Wednesday, Oct 27th 2010
5 Tips for Fighting a Cold Naturally
So, it seems that everyone I know has got a nasty cold, and I'm starting to feel the symtoms. Sometimes you have to get quiet and listen to what your body is telling you. Right now mine is saying: "You've been going, going, going and it's time to slow down and pay attention to your health." So, I've been taking some steps to fend off my symptoms before they get the best of me. Here are my 5 tips for fighting a cold naturally:
1. Get lots of rest. If you continue along with your daily routine without slowing down, your cold is likely to drag on. So, be kind to yourself and take a sick day, or at least a nap.
2. Drink ginger tea: Peel and slice some fresh ginger (which contains antiviral compounds), put it in a mug of boiling water, cover and let it steep for about 10 minutes. Add some honey for a throat-soothing bonus.
3. Eat raw chopped garlic. Your breath might stink, but if you can stomach it, the allicin in garlic is known to have effective antibacterial qualities. I prefer to juice it alongside oranges and carrots.
4. Get more vitamin C: The jury is out on whether this can really help, but for me it's mental; nothing tastes better than a refreshing glass of OJ when the sniffles start (same goes for hot soup).
5. Get steamy. Take a nice long hot shower or fill a bowl with steaming water, lean over it with a towel over your head to clear out congested sinuses (some say spicy food works for this as well).
Do you have any tips? We want to hear them! Please comment below.