recent blog posts
- How to Win at the Losing Game
- My Fabulous Vacation to Italy: "The Best Day of My Life" in Capri
- What You Need to Know: "Best If Used By" Dates
- 9 Common Misconceptions About Psoriasis
- My Fabulous Vacation to Italy: Paradise Awaits in Positano
- 10 Easy Ways to Banish Bloat
- My Fabulous Vacation to Italy: A Fun Day in Florence
- How to Get Full(er) Lips
- My Fabulous Vacation to Italy: More to See in Rome
- National Immunization Awareness Month
Wednesday, Oct 27th 2010
5 Tips for Fighting a Cold Naturally
So, it seems that everyone I know has got a nasty cold, and I'm starting to feel the symtoms. Sometimes you have to get quiet and listen to what your body is telling you. Right now mine is saying: "You've been going, going, going and it's time to slow down and pay attention to your health." So, I've been taking some steps to fend off my symptoms before they get the best of me. Here are my 5 tips for fighting a cold naturally:
1. Get lots of rest. If you continue along with your daily routine without slowing down, your cold is likely to drag on. So, be kind to yourself and take a sick day, or at least a nap.
2. Drink ginger tea: Peel and slice some fresh ginger (which contains antiviral compounds), put it in a mug of boiling water, cover and let it steep for about 10 minutes. Add some honey for a throat-soothing bonus.
3. Eat raw chopped garlic. Your breath might stink, but if you can stomach it, the allicin in garlic is known to have effective antibacterial qualities. I prefer to juice it alongside oranges and carrots.
4. Get more vitamin C: The jury is out on whether this can really help, but for me it's mental; nothing tastes better than a refreshing glass of OJ when the sniffles start (same goes for hot soup).
5. Get steamy. Take a nice long hot shower or fill a bowl with steaming water, lean over it with a towel over your head to clear out congested sinuses (some say spicy food works for this as well).
Do you have any tips? We want to hear them! Please comment below.