Healthy Living > healthy eating
Find out more about:
Shelley's Turkey Chili
Turkey chili substitutes turkey for beef to make a hearty chili that's lower in saturated fat.
Prep Time: 20 Min
Cook Time: 25 Min
Ready In: 45 Min
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large fresh jalapeño, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Accompaniments: sour cream and grated cheddar cheese
- Cook turkey, onion, garlic, and jalapeño in a heavy medium pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, cayenne, cinnamon, and brown sugar and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and beans. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes or more (flavors will develop more the longer you simmer).
- Serve topped with accompaniments.
This recipe is courtesy of Shelley Maddox.