- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 2 eggs, beaten
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews
1. Bring 1-1/2 cups water to boil, add salt and rice. Bring contents back to a boil, cover the pot and simmer for 45-50 minutes, or until rice is tender.
2. Approximately 20 minutes before rice is finished cooking heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions and saute them, stirring frequently until they soften. Add the garlic and carrots and continue stirring for 5 minutes.
3. Place mushrooms inside of skillet and cook until mushrooms begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the chickpeas and cook 1 more minute.
4. When the rice is finished cooking pour the eggs into the skillet and cook the mixture, stirring constantly until the eggs are cooked. Remove the skillet from the heat, stir in pepper, parsley, and nuts.
5. Spoon the cooked rice into the skillet and stir well. Serve the pilaf hot with soy sauce on the side for added flavor.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 409 | Total Fat: 17.1g | Cholesterol: 129mg
Recipe courtesy of AllRecipes.com