Healthy Living > recipes
Ajo blanco, or "white garlic," originated near Granada in the Andalusian region of Spain. The grapes, garlic and almonds give a subtle flavor to this chilled soup.
Prep Time: 30 Min
Cook Time: 0 Min
Ready In: 30 Min
- 2 cups crustless day-old white country bread cubes
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup whole blanched almonds (peeled)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups green grapes, halved (divided)
- 2 cups ice water
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Soak bread cubes in cold milk in a medium bowl until soft.
- In a blender, combine bread, almonds and garlic and begin blending. While the blender is going, add the olive oil in a slow stream until consistency reaches a smooth paste.
- Add 1 1/2 cups grapes and resume blending, adding a stream of ice water until the soup has a thick, creamy consistency.
- Season with vinegar, salt and pepper. Serve immediately in chilled bowls, garnished with the remaining grape halves.
Recipe adapted from Mediterranean Cookery by Claudia Roden.